KCA News & Media
|Information on New Legislation|
① Introducing the ‘Small Group Meeting’ system
- Establishing a legal basis for a ‘Small Group Meeting’, that is composed of more than three
people (but less than five)
- The Small Group Meeting will efficiently settle disputes by promptly dealing with small cases with
② Extending the term of collective ADR
- Considering that collective ADR takes longer period of time, the term for collective ADR is extended
to 60 days from the current 30 days
③ Clarifying appointment procedures and power of the representative people direc tly involved in the collective ADR
- A large number of the people involved in the collective ADR can designate their representatives not
more than three persons
- The Consumer Dispute Settlement Commission (CDSC) of the Korea Consumer Agency (KCA)
recommends the persons involved in the collective ADR to appoint their representatives when the
appointment is necessary. The persons involved in the collective ADR can take part in the settlement
process through their representatives and the representatives can engage in all the acts related to
the settlement of the case in question. However, it takes written content of the persons involved to
withdraw the settlement request and approve a dispute settlement plan.
④ Improving an article related to notice of misconducts
- When proceeding consumer redress cases, the KCA gives a notice of illegal acts done by businesses
to the appropriate government office. Related to this, a let-out clause for the notice obligation is newly
added when the wrongdoing is stopped or the notice is considered as having no practical use.
B. Revision of the Act on the Consumer Protection in the Electronic Commerce Transactions, etc. (Draft)
Major revisions are as follows:
① When a consumer can sign up for a member and subscribe to a contract online, he or she should be able to cancel, terminate, and change the contract as well as prove and confirm the transaction online.
② A clause on corrective measures by the KCA for consumer damage prevention and redress is newly added for better consumer protection.
③ When the violation of the Act is acknowledged, the KCA along with the Korea Fair Trade Commission can conduct an investigation into the case together. The mediation results of the CDSC should be reported to the KFTC.
|Next||Car wash warning: for automobiles polluted with CaCl2|
|Prev||Establishing National Consumer Counseling Center|